[ Detroit, Michigan USA ]
It is full speed ahead for The District Detroit. The new home of the Detroit Red Wings is scheduled to be open for the 2017-2018 season.
From a December 2014 post:
A major transformation of the heart of Detroit kicked off in September 2014, when the Ilitch family broke ground on The District Detroit, a sports-oriented entertainment district along Woodward Avenue.
The development will be anchored by the USD $450 million Detroit Red Wings arena but is envisioned to also include an additional $200 million in apartments, restaurants, office buildings, parks and shops over 45 blocks.
The 650,000 SF hockey and events center and the new neighborhoods — which also are meant to connect to the sports stadium/entertainment area including Ford Field and Comerica Park — are scheduled to be ready by summer 2017.
The District will catalyze five distinct mixed-use neighborhoods that are inspired by historical roots, beloved places or geographical highlights within each area. Each neighborhood will have its own distinct personality, expressed by the following working names.
- Columbia Street – A neighborhood near the Fox Theatre and the Fillmore Detroit that offers entertainment and dining at its finest.
- Wildcat Corner – This neighborhood, anchored by Comerica Park and Ford Field, will offer energetic, athletic experiences at their best.
- Woodward Square – The bustling home of the new Detroit arena.
- Cass Park Village – An energized, eclectic and primarily residential neighborhood.
- Columbia Park – A fresh, modern neighborhood anchored by a new public green space.
The Ilitch family are founders of the Little Caesars pizza chain and owners of the Detroit Red Wings since 1982.